Vanity Project Extra Live

Gig Reviews

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Less Than Jake + Boys Night Out + Bullets To Broadway - Pyramids, Portsmouth. 13/04/06.

In all honesty, this is a gig I probably would have not bothered with as that ska-punk thing really isn't my kind of thing but seeing as I am working local crew at it and have the delight of being the stop-on and having to be here all day, along with taking the support bands gear off stage between sets, I thought I may as well pen a few words. First thing to say is that what a nice bunch of people are involved with this tour, all are friendly and it's nice to get a few thank you's while lugging the gear around the venue and a special thanks to the LTJ merch man who made sure I got a T-Shirt at the end of the night, much appreciated!

Fellow Americans Bullets To Broadway are up first who feature 3/4 of Teen Idols who played sold out shows and had made quite a name for themselves before splitting. With a Uk release of their MCD "Drink Positive" out on the well respected Household Name records (which has been selling like hot cakes on the tour apparently, so much so that HHN had to get more printed) the time is right for the UK to take the band to their hearts and after watching them tonight I'm sure they will. Not only do they look good, they sound fantastic; big dirty punk rock riffs that fly along at full pelt dragging big fat melodies screaming behind them. Vocals are a mix of hardcore brutality soothed with seductive male/female melodies that add some extra spice to already potent tunes; add in the experience of being in successful bands before and you have a band that know how to interact with a big crowd and give them what they want and they deliver it with a confidence and cool punk rock swagger. They hit the Uk again in May for some smaller dates, check their website and if they are swinging by your way I heartily recommend them to you if you like your punk rock big and dirty.

Canadians Boys Night Out are another revelation as I was kind of expecting at least one of the support bands to play dodgy ska-punk, but no, we have another top notch punk band with a nod to emo and the alternative side of things. Positively bristling with energy they have trouble containing themselves in the small section of stage they have to perform in, this is a band who obviously love playing live and feed off the crowd energy as their upbeat and clattering tunes cause much damage down the front. BNO take a brave step of adding keyboards into the mix, the female keyboardist working manically in zero space conjuring up what sounds like Duran Duran cast offs ( and I mean that in a good way!) that are spun round by the guitars and morphed into cracking punk rock. I reckon they may just appeal to the emo crowd but they lack those whiney vocals thank god so it has a fuller sound...perhaps emo with a bit of bollocks, or perhaps just damn good rock music to drink beer to. However you want to describe them, I'm kind of glad I ended up working this gig as it's rare to get two such excellent support bands in one night.

A sold out crowd is in to see Less Than Jake who have been around a while but have passed me by until now, other than the odd song on compilations I have including the brilliant 'Gainsville Rock City'. I have to say that I am totally won over by their set tonight, fast paced melodic punk with injections of ska fuelled brass keep the energetic crowd moving all night while the energy levels the band show are amazing and it's a wonder that there are not floods of sweat flowing from the stage. I have no idea what they played, I believe I missed Gainsville Rock City at the start as we were loading out the gear for the supports and as we came back up in the lift I heard the closing few notes which was a bit gutting but as I said, they won me over so it doesn't matter that I don't know any titles as they left me with my foot tapping, head nodding and a grin on my face. Anyone who missed this, missed a cracking gig by a band giving 200% and the sight of some poor hand picked young lady having the chance to sniff 3 lots of sweaty armpits belonging to crowd members, confetti and fake snow being launched from the stage, rock n roll eh, you got to love it and I'm now wearing my T-shirt with pride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home