Vanity Project Extra Live

Gig Reviews

Thursday, October 13, 2005

FOBA + 3 Second Rule + Forever Falling - HMC, Portsmouth. 08/08/05.

Forever Falling, from Norwich are out on a DIY tour with 3 Second rule and you can't knock their dedication and balls for actually getting out there and doing it. Despite little advertising there is a reasonable crowd in to witness the emo-screamo-post hardcore or whatever of Forever Falling. It's a tough mix of hardcore brutality giving way to melody and metal style riffing. The vocalist has a fine guttural belch of a voice despite looking like a Marilyn Manson reject but that aside, FF are a reasonable band and should find favour out there in Emo land.

Touring partners from Manchester are 3 Second Rule, also described as emo meets post-hardcore, who are a more accessible outfit providing far more melodic moments and a nice dual vocal approach that veers from screaming to actual singing. They have a raw rock feel combined with melodic punk and I find them surprisingly pleasing on the ear. Of the two tavelling bands I feel that 3SR are the more likely to make a name for themselves as ultimately they are the more interesting musically.

Quite why Friends Of Brutal Architecture are on this bill is anyones guess, having seen them two days before at Messclean I'm tempted to go home early but keen as I am to support the local scene I remain until the bitter end and really my feelings about FOBA remain as in the last review. I'm sure they are nice chaps but musically it does nothing for me, it's just kind of there drifting along with few surprises. Like I say, quite why they are on this bill is a mystery but there you go, rock n roll is a funny old thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home